We’ve completed the first of our home study meetings, and so far our social worker seems to think we’re competent parents. This brings us closer to Magnolia, which is a good thing indeed. It also brings us closer to needing some funds, which is a challenging thing. Jarod gets adoption assistance through his work, and we’ll get federal tax credits as well, but none of this is available to us until after the adoption is finalized, and it won’t be enough to cover everything. Our adoption will cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $20,000. We’ve paid some of that from our savings, and our plan as it stands now is to take out two loans, one now since we have a chunk of fees due as soon as our home study and dossier are complete, and one later, when we receive our referral. On the upside, I am really good at making beans and rice. On the downside, once we take out that second loan, our finances will become a little strained until the adoption is final and we can receive the adoption assistance through Jarod’s work. The tax credit will take even longer to receive. It’s a lot of financial juggling. So we are beginning our fundraising now in hopes that by the time we go to pick up Magnolia, we’ll have enough to cover our travel expenses and a bit extra to cover various other expenses until the adoption is finalized and we can apply for the adoption assistance through Jarod’s work, thus alleviating approximately one third of our financial strain.
Our first fundraiser is one that will cost you a tiny bit of time, but no extra money. OneCause is a nontraditional fundraising program in which online merchants donate a percentage of the sales made through the OneCause website to a charity of your choice. A number of merchants that I already order from are part of OneCause, including Amazon.com, Target, iTunes, Gap, J. Crew, and my fave, Boden. We have registered with OneCause to support the National Adoption Foundation, and the National Adoption Foundation will give 50% of what is raised back to us. That means that if a retailer gives 2% of the sale back to OneCause, we would get 1% and the National Adoption Foundation would get 1% to continue their good work. So here’s how you make it happen:
1. Click here to be taken to the OneCause page for the National Adoption Foundation.
2. Click on “Support this Cause” and register.
3. Once you are registered, click on the My Home tab and find the “Supporter Crediting” link on the left hand side, under the “My Profile Settings” heading.
4. Check the “Enroll in the National Adoption Foundation Supporter Crediting Program” box.
5. Enter email@example.com as the e-mail address in the box provided.
6. Remember to log into OneCause to do your usual internet shopping. Use the “Search Merchants” box in the upper right hand corner to find the merchants you usually use, and take advantage of the ability to favorite the ones you use the most.
And that’s it! Simple, right? Get to it! Magnolia thanks you, and we thank you, from the bottom of our hearts.